Summer is just on the horizon, but mosquitoes are already out for blood – literally!
These blood-suckers aren’t just annoying. The mosquito is one of the world’s most deadly animals, as they have helped spread diseases like West Nile, malaria, dengue, yellow fever and Zika throughout time.
If mosquitoes have taken over your lawn, never fear. There are a few things you can do to keep them at bay.
- Mosquitoes love water; in fact, standing, stagnant water is a mosquito’s preferred breeding ground. Check your flowerpots, kiddie pools, buckets and bird baths – make sure they are cleaned regularly and provide fresh water often. Your swimming pool should be mosquito-proof, as long as it’s chlorinated and your filter is working.
- Are your window screens ripped or damaged? Replace any of them that are in disrepair. That will help keep mosquitoes out, as well as other creepy crawlies.
- Citronella is your friend. Plant it, or get a citronella candle for your outdoor areas. Mosquitoes hate citronella.
- If you plan to do a lot of outdoor entertaining, it may be worth it to invest in a patio tent or netting to protect your area.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, so opt for light-colored clothes. Bonus points if the clothes cover your arms or legs.
- Wear repellant. There are plenty of bug sprays and lotions on the market, so find one that works for you and your family. Don’t forget to reapply if you plan to spend the entire day outdoors.
If mosquitoes are still bugging you, call Ark Pest Control & Prevention! Not only will we spray your land for mosquitoes, but we’ll inspect your property to find any hidden areas that may contain stagnant water.